Every year in this industry we observe the typical spring/summer wedding trend. That winter weddings are overlooked often surprises me because in Calgary this season is the majority of our year! So what are some reasons why the lonely months of October to April should get some loving?
1. First and foremost, a winter wedding means deals! Savings are significant when it comes to venues, catering, DJ’s, flowers, photography, and yes, linen and décor rentals! I myself offer seasonal discounts.
2. When you don’t have hundreds of brides to contend with, the planning process is smoother. Booking appointments and viewings are easier and vendors can spend extra time with you doing set-ups and perfecting the details.
3. Yes you are likely opting out of an outdoor ceremony, but lets be honest, the odds aren’t always in our favor even in August! It is Calgary after all… Some of our nicest outdoor weddings actually happened in October this year.
4. Often the most beautiful wedding pictures I see are from my winter brides. With picturesque vista views of snow covered mountains, trees covered in frost and brides elegantly draped in fur to keep warm – it’s a truly beautiful time of year.
5. A hot and sunny honeymoon means a lot more when you get to leave the chilly weather behind! In fact, even many summer brides put off their post-wedding holiday until wintertime. A cozy white ceremony and reception followed by sun and sand is a dreamy way to get married!
6. Finally, the romance factor of a winter wedding is off the charts. Gorgeous colours along with the extra touches of a winter wonderland (snowflakes, a hot chocolate bar, twigs or pine cones, glitter, cozy fabrics…) create an unbeatable atmosphere of warmth and charm.
So before your stress level hits the red zone while you fight for a summer wedding date, perhaps take a moment to consider the option of a winter wedding. Though they’re not for everybody, you may be surprised by all they have to offer!